The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is offering
postdoctoral fellowships—one in the arts and humanities; and one in the social sciences and/or professional disciplines—to begin in September 2019 for scholars whose work focuses on Russia, Eastern Europe, and the former Soviet regions of Eurasia. These fellowships are designed to offer junior scholars the time, space, and financial support necessary to produce significant scholarship early in their careers while simultaneously building their teaching records.
The UCIS Postdoctoral Fellowships in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies are for two years, renewable for an additional (third) year. Fellows will be expected to pursue their own scholarly work and participate in the academic and intellectual activities of UCIS and REEES, as well as the department or professional school with which they are affiliated.
Each of the UCIS/REEES Fellows will teach one course in the first year, two in the second year, and two in the third year, if the fellowship is extended. The specific courses to be taught will be determined according to fellows’ interests, the needs of their departments, and REEES. At least once during the fellowship period, each Fellow will serve as the instructor for the interdisciplinary REEES capstone course, in which undergraduates undertake a major research project as part of the REEES certificate program requirements. Fellows will additionally support the Center’s annual graduate and undergraduate student conferences and other Center outreach activities.
The Center particularly seeks candidates who are ready to join the curriculum development team for the project
Water in Central Asia
, funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, and are interested in co-teaching an undergraduate course (listed in History or Political Science) as part of this initiative.
The annual stipend will be $47,476 plus benefits. The UCIS/REEES Fellows are eligible to apply for REEES Faculty Small Grants for up to $3,000 annually to support their research.
We invite applications from qualified candidates in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and professional disciplines who have received the Ph.D. or final professional degree from a university other than the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. no earlier than December 2016. Applicants who do not have the Ph.D. in hand at the time of application must provide a letter from their department chair or advisor stating that the Ph.D. degree will be conferred before the term of the fellowship begins. The fellowship may not begin before the candidate has actually received the Ph.D. or equivalent final degree in a professional discipline. Strong preference will be given to candidates whose application is supported by an agreement from a current **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. faculty member to serve as mentor for the candidate during the period of the fellowship.
Applicants must clearly specify whether their application is for:
· UCIS/REEES Postdoctoral Fellowship: Arts and Humanities OR
· UCIS/REEES Postdoctoral Fellowship: Social Sciences and Professional Disciplines.
All applications must include:
1. Application form
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Statement of current research interests that outlines the goals of the research to be undertaken during the term of the fellowship (1,000 words maximum).
4. One writing sample no longer than 25 pages
5. Copy of the Dissertation Table of Contents
6. Two-page statement of teaching interests and two course proposals (including subject area, brief syllabus and proposed methods) for 15-week courses directed toward advanced undergraduates or graduate students. As part of their two-page statement, applicants should address their interest/preparedness to teach the NEH courses on Water in Central Asia in History or Political Science and the REEES undergraduate capstone course.
7. Names, professional titles, and email addresses of three references
Applications must be submitted by November 15, 2018
. Only complete applications will be considered. A committee will review all applications and contact a smaller pool of candidates for Skype interviews. Final notifications will take place by March 1, 2019.