Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Department of Mining & Minerals Engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) invites applications for a postdoctoral associate position. The successful applicant is expected to play an active role in the research conducted by the Center for Advanced Separation Technologies (
), which focuses on mineral processing, physical and chemical separations, and colloid chemistry.
Responsibilities will include:
• participating in current sponsored research on rare earth element recovery from coal byproducts;
• supervising and conducting laboratory and/or field work;
• report and manuscript writing;
• presenting at technical forums and conferences;
• co-developing new proposals for sponsored research; and
• co-supervising and mentoring graduate and undergraduate researchers.
In addition to these specific responsibilities, the successful applicant will be expected to work independently on his or her own publications and research.
• PhD in engineering (by Jan. 1, 2018), and at least one degree in mining engineering, minerals engineering, metallurgical engineering, or a related field;
• Strong written and oral communication skills;
• Offers of employment may require prior approval from the granting agency.
• The ability to manage people and work well on a diverse team;
• Excellent work ethic, time management, and organizational skill;
• A commitment to safe work practices in the laboratory and field;
• Practical knowledge and experience in hydrometallurgical operations;
• Prior experience in Rare Earth Element processing
• Demonstrated expertise in dynamic process modeling, process design, and techno-economic analysis;
• Credentials and characteristics that show a trajectory toward future employment as a tenure-track faculty at a research intensive institution;
• PE or
Must have a driver's license check, Offer of employment may require prior approval from the granting agency, Other (Describe Below)
Must have a conviction check:
Occasional travel to conferences and meetings is required
How to Apply for this Job:
Qualified applicants must electronically submit online application, Cover letter (not to exceed two pages) that carefully describes career goals and research interests; resume/curriculum vitae and a list of 3 professional references (phone number and email address) and writing sample (“Other Document”) consisting of either a dissertation chapter or a published article.to jobs.vt.edu. Apply to posting #SR0180019. Applicant screening will continue until the position is filled. Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Ctr for Advanced Separation Technology
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Location Zip Code:
Job Posting Date:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date(if applicable):
Restricted to university employees only?
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Accessibility at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Website : http://www.vt.edu
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).