The University of Western Australia
Research Fellow/ Research Associate - ARC Grant
University of Western Australia - Crawley WA
Job no: ******
Work type: full-time
Categories: Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
SCHOOL OF ELECTRICAL, ELECTRONIC & COMPUTER ENGINEERING
OPTICAL BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Three year appointment
- Salary range: Level A $68,452 - $92,497 p.a. or Level B $97,310 - $115,350 p.a.
- Postdoc in Biomedical Optics/Biophotonics/Photonics/Optical Microscopy (Australia)
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire there is no better time to join Western Australias top University.
Do you have an aptitude for building and applying high-performance microscopes?
Come join a team of engineers and scientists working in collaboration with biologists on the application of light for measurement and diagnosis in living biological systems.
Our projects are about inventing, engineering, operating and understanding complete systems, from new modes of imaging, to optical and mechanical instrument design, to electronics, signal processing and real-time software generating big data, to working with medical researchers and biologists to understand the data. Imaging systems are being developed for clinical and biological collaborations, for example, in cancer detection, scar assessment and physiological studies of the human airway.
This position will be the key appointment in our project entitled A new tool for comprehensive label-free micro-imaging of cancer in situ, based on advanced extensions of optical coherence tomography.
We are seeking a researcher who can contribute to this project and who is expert in at least one of the following: optical coherence tomography, optics experimentation, optical microscopy, optical design, signal processing, modelling and project management.
You will form a key part of the multi-disciplinary team of experts in optics, photonics, instrumentation engineering, imaging and biology engaged in developing the methods, the technology, and the applications of tissue imaging and medical microscopy.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- You have a PhD degree in engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics, physiology, biology, or similar; or equivalent industry experience;
- Strong ability in at least one of: optical coherence tomography, optics experimentation, optical microscopy, optical design, signal processing, modelling and project management;
- Experience with LabVIEW for data acquisition and/or Matlab for data processing, or similar;
- Experience in working as a team player, preferably within a cross-disciplinary team;
- A track record of achievement in research or development relative to opportunity;
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills in the preparation of high-quality reports, presentations and publications;
- An ability and willingness to direct and supervise final year undergraduate students and PhD students in the area of bioengineering; and
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines.
Beyond technical strength, we are looking for someone with independence, a strong work ethic, a practical approach, and who gets excited about achieving an outcome, as well as coping with some time pressure. Come and join a focused team trying to make a difference.
Full details of the positions responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
For more information: see ***************************** or email Prof David Sampson ************************.
The University of Western Australia occupies a picturesque setting by the Swan River five minutes from downtown Perth and ten minutes from Perths famous beaches. Perth is located on Australias west coast and enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and short mild winters and is renowned for its relaxed outdoor lifestyle.
Closing date: Friday, 23 March 2018
This position is open to international applicants who require visa sponsorship.
Please apply online via the
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
The University of Western Australia
Website : http://www.uwa.edu.au/