The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is seeking a Life Sciences Postdoctoral Fellow who will
apply state-of-the-art single cell approaches and informatics to fundamental issues in the vascular biology of inflammation and immune angiogenesis. The Fellow will conduct single cell RNAseq, conventional and mass cytometry, and bioinformatic analyses of vascular cells in animal models of inflammation and disease, and in human tissues.
A strong background in vascular biology and physiology and/or computation and informatics is essential. Further experience in the molecular genetics and cell biology of stem or stromal cells, or expertise in coding and algorithm development, will be advantageous.
The successful applicant will have a recent PhD or MD degree, strong communication skills and a proven track record of collaboration and productivity. The Fellow will join an interactive research team using cutting edge technologies and informatics.
The starting salary is 60,000 USD. Enquiries may be made to Prof Eugene Butcher (ebutcher @ stanford.edu). Applications in the form of a full CV with publication list and with the names and contact details of at least two referees should be provided.
Please note, all PAVIR funded Postdoctoral Fellows will hold a Postdoctoral Fellow appointment through Stanford University and will have access to Stanford resources.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
• Design and perform advanced cell and molecular biological techniques to achieve defined goals;
• Independently research, implement, and troubleshoot molecular, bioinformatic/statistical, disease models, cell biology and related techniques;
• Introduce and troubleshoot diverse techniques for the lab, when needed;
• Perform ex vivo imaging and in vivo rodent experiments;
• Independently research, implement, and troubleshoot imaging and rodent procedures;
• Train other personnel in the lab in various imaging and in vivo techniques;
• Perform computational analyses of large scale single cell gene expression proteomic,
• Implement novel algorithms in collaboration with others in the lab.
• Assist with laboratory maintenance and compliance with regulations;
• Train other personnel in the lab in various techniques;
• Analyze experimental data and maintain detailed lab notes regarding experiment outcomes;
• Prepare reports and assist in writing scientific papers from the data acquired.
Required: Recent M.D. or Ph.D. degree in Vascular Biology, Computational biology or a related field.
Required: Strong record of research training and productivity including publications. Experience in conducting in vivo experiments using rodent disease models, microscopic techniques involving vascular biology. Experience in computation (coding in R or related languages) or background or training in relevant statistical or mathematical approaches.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of Vascular biology, and of animal models of disease;
• Proven capability or strong interest in learning computational bioinformatics including coding for analyses of large single cell datasets.
• Ability to independently learn and implement new techniques;
• Strong knowledge of research lab requirements/procedures and scientific research methodology;
• Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications;
• Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
• Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
• Experience in protocol development and standardization;
• Ability to work independently and within a team context; Evidence of collaboration.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to assist, train, and support other research staff;
• Effective communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
• Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
• Proven technical and analytical skills;
• Ability to troubleshoot;
• Proficiency with standard computer programs for writing and presentation and graphing;
• Strong knowledge of math and statistics.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, bloodborne pathogens, radiation, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: ****PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact **** - Human Resources department.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘BUT1806.18’ via our Jobs page and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.