Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Leidos has a job opportunity for a Proteomic Research Scientist / Post Doctoral -Proteomics Professional. This position is located at Aberdeen Proving Ground-Edgewood Area, Edgewood, MD.
The threat of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) agents pose serious challenges to homeland security as well as to military operations worldwide. Leidos is seeking a research scientist to support our customer, the Edgewood Chemical Biological Center (ECBC) Research and Technology Directorate (R&T) BioDefense Branch in basic and applied CBRN research efforts. Responsibilities and duties will include complete characterization, including elucidation of molecular toxicology of materials, and assisting in the development of effective detection, diagnostic, and medical defenses mechanisms for CBRN threat agents. While much is known about the most serious and acute effects of these agents, very little is known about how these challenges affect the organism as a whole. Research efforts will assist in defining and understanding complex interactions and will assist in providing novel insights essential for the development of new therapeutic, diagnostic, and detection strategies. This research opportunity involves the use of modern proteomic mass spectrometry to elucidate the complex molecular and systemic toxic responses of chemical and biological materials at the molecular level. Successful candidates are expected to work independently on large complex projects/assignments performing proteomic analyses and are responsible for addressing technical issues/problems using internal best practice and through collaboration with colleagues.
* Functions as a team member with other scientists in supporting basic and applied chemical and biological research efforts for Gov't sponsored projects
* Performs work independently with minimal oversight
* Performs mass spectrometry proteomic studies/analyses, to include sample preparation and analyses
* Performs work effort in support of BSL-1, BSL-2, and potentially BSL-3 facilities
* Performs computational biological studies
* Executes standing operating procedures and performs work activities in a safe manner
* Performs work with toxic materials which includes bio-threat agents.
* Reports to on-site Leidos team lead and represents Leidos as prime contractor for the Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center
* Performs other duties assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
* Requires a Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, biochemistry or related field of study with hands-on mass spectrometry experience. Laboratory experience should be well represented within the candidate's publication record.
* Demonstrated experience with the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of various mass spectrometers including Thermo Fisher Orbitrap (ELITE, QE , and/or FUSION) is required.
* Demonstrated experience in ALL ASPECTS OF PROTEOMIC ANALYSIS from sample preparation throughout sample analyses.
* Candidate has demonstrated experience/ability to graphically represent big-omic data sets for publication purposes using information software packages such as Proteome Discoverer 2.1, Perseus, MaxQuant, etc.
* Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
* Strong organizational, communication, and writing skills.
* Capability to learn new techniques.
* Ability to obtain a Secret clearance.
* U.S. citizenship.
* Proficient in problem solving.
* Current Secret Clearance.
* Experience working in a U.S. military research center performing Gov't sponsored research projects.
* ISO 17025 and/or ISO Guide 34 demonstrated understanding and application
* Demonstrated ability to work with hazardous materials, such as chemical and/or biological agents
* Strong computer skills.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company's diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Website : http://www.leidos.com
We bring a mix of innovative technology and sector expertise to customers in national security, health, and infrastructure. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.